SVA’s Master of Professional Studies MPS in Art Therapy is an immersive two-year, 60-credit program that prepares students to become licensed art therapists.
- In addition to the coursework and internship components, we offer a robust program of lectures, conferences, workshops, exhibitions, and special projects, as well as opportunities for international study and studio time.
- We seek out a diverse group of students as far as age, cultural background, and work experience, offering scholarships, part-time options and a flexible approach to make the program a possibility for students in a variety of circumstances.
Our program objectives are as follows:
1. Understand the relationship between cognition, emotion and behavior and social constructs and apply that knowledge to art therapy treatment.
2. Cultivate the capacity for productive self-reflection, empathy, and insight to enhance clinical practice.
3. Develop a distinctive approach to art therapy practice based on the client’s needs while taking into account the one’s own individual talents and working style.
4. Demonstrate artistic growth through realized handling of materials.
5. Develop an active leadership role, learning to advocate and collaborate in a professional setting.
6. Gain a thorough understanding of professional practices within the field, i.e. ethical/legal standards, career strategies, and expectations.
New York City is the ideal setting for clinical application of art therapy methods. Gaining experience working as an art therapist in the city is a cornerstone of our program and students are required to complete two distinct yearlong internships at institutions as diverse as the city itself. Internship sites include metropolitan area hospitals and clinics, nursing homes, veterans facilities, drug and chemical treatment centers, public and private schools, community centers, correctional facilities, private practices, and many more. Our location in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan gives us convenient access to museums and contemporary art galleries.
The SVA community at large provides an invigorating setting for dynamic, creative learning. Students in our program may audit SVA classes and learn everything from ceramics to critical theory to video art and everything in between.
Information Sessions and Workshops for Prospective Applicants
The Department offers larger group information sessions and experiential workshops each year, as well as individual information sessions. For more information, please contact email@example.com.