- Can CE students take advantage of discounts at the SVA Campus Store?
Yes. For more information, please visit the SVA Campus Store web page.
- Do alumni receive a discount for Continuing Education courses?
Students who meet one of the following requirements are eligible to receive a discount of 20% per continuing education course:
• Attended SVA from 1947-1979 and enrolled for one full semester.
• Attended SVA from 1980-1995 and completed 12 credits.
• All SVA degree and certificate graduates.
For more information about alumni benefits, programs and services go to: sva.edu/alumni.
Office of Alumni Affairs and Development
Email: [email protected]
- Do veterans receive a discount for Continuing Education courses?
SVA is honored to welcome veterans to our campus. SVA is a Yellow Ribbon Program participating school. Veterans who register for continuing education courses will receive a 20% discount per course. To be eligible to receive this discount through the Division of Continuing Education, you must supply one of the following documents certifying proof of service:
• DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
• DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility)
This documentation should be submitted in-person at the Registrar’s Office, 205 East 23rd Street, New York, NY 10010. Once you have submitted proof of service to SVA, you do not need to resubmit this documentation again. The 20% discount will automatically be applied when registering online, by mail, in-person, by fax or by telephone.
For more information about veterans benefits, programs and services, contact Gemma Prosper-Brown, veterans counselor, at: [email protected] or telephone Telephone: 212.592.2201.
- Do Continuing Education faculty members also teach undergraduate and graduate courses?
Though many instructors also teach undergraduate and graduate courses, some instructors focus exclusively upon undergraduate, graduate, or Continuing Education courses.
- Do Continuing Education students have access to the Visual Arts Library?
Yes, Continuing Education students have access to the library, provided they present their Continuing Education paper ID. Such students do not, however, have borrowing privileges.
- Do I need to submit a portfolio to take a Continuing Education course?
A portfolio is not generally a prerequisite to register for Continuing Education courses, but you may want to consult the course catalog for prerequisites and special requirements.
- Do instructors have mailboxes?
Continuing Education instructors are working professionals and do not have either offices or mailboxes on campus. However, you are welcome to leave with the Registrar's Office a message to be forwarded to an instructor. Furthermore, you may send e-mail to the instructor through MySVA.
- Does the College provide tuition discounts to senior citizens?
We are sorry to report that there are no senior citizen discounts.
- Does the Division of Continuing Education offer certificate programs?
The School of Visual Arts does not, through any of its divisions, offer a certificate program at this time.
- How and when will I receive a refund for a Continuing Education course from which I withdrew?
Tuition refunds are provided in the form in which the tuition payment was made. Refunds take approximately four weeks to process.
- How do I apply Continuing Education courses toward a degree program?
Please refer to specific degree requirements (available in the Office of Admissions) to determine how a particular course might fulfill a degree requirement. Pending acceptance into an SVA degree program, you will be assigned an academic advisor. This advisor will determine which courses may transfer into the degree program. If you wish to apply Continuing Education Units (CEUs) toward a degree program at another institution, you must speak with that institution regarding its credit transfer policy.
- How do I change a grade I received in a Continuing Education course?
Students seeking to change a grade for a Continuing Education course must complete a change of grade form, which is available through the Registrar's Office. This form is to be completed by the instructor, and then returned to the Registrar's Office.
- I am an international student. If I register for a Continuing Education course, will I be issued an I-20 visa?
International students can take a vocational or recreational course as long as it is incidental to their main purpose of visiting the U.S. Please note that SVA is not authorized to issue the Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for the F-1 student visa for the Division of Continuing Education.
- If I am taking a Continuing Education course in which a computer is needed to complete assignments, can I use the SVA computer lab?
Unless otherwise noted, computer labs are available only during class time to students enrolled in computer-based courses. Scanners and computers with Internet access and word processing software are available for student use in the library; however, it is recommended that students have access to a computer outside the College for the completion of assignments.
- If I know I will not be able to attend Continuing Education class on a specific day, may I send someone in my place?
Only students registered for a particular course may attend that course. If the student is aware in advance that he or she will be unable to attend class, the student should inform the instructor and make alternate plans. In case of illness or emergency, students may also contact the Registrar's Office and the office will forward this information to the instructor.
- If I withdraw from a Continuing Education course will I still receive a grade?
Students may withdraw from courses without academic penalty before 75 percent of the class sessions have met. Withdrawal occurring after this time will be recorded with a grade of "W" for the course.
- If my employer plans to pay my tuition, when must I pay for a Continuing Education course?
You may register for a Continuing Education course without payment of tuition, provided that upon registration, the College receives your company's promissory note stating that the tuition will be paid in full within two weeks.
- Is financial assistance available for Continuing Education courses?
Private loans are available to students through various lenders. SVA recommends that you evaluate all private loan options. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 212.592.2030 for information on programs specifically designed for Continuing Education students. Note that payment for Continuing Education courses is due in full upon registration.
- Is it possible to audit a Continuing Education course?
Students enrolled in a graduate program at SVA qualify for two audits during each academic year. Auditing is not available to any other students.
- Is it possible to obtain an instructor's phone number?
For reasons of confidentiality, instructors' personal contact information is not available to students. However, you are welcome to leave with the Registrar's Office a message to be forwarded to an instructor. Furthermore, you may send e-mail to the instructor through MySVA.
- Is it possible to sit in on a Continuing Education course?
Only students registered for a particular course may attend that course.
- May I speak with a Continuing Education instructor about the content of a course before I register?
If you have questions regarding any courses offered through the Division of Continuing Education, please feel free to contact a Continuing Education course advisor by calling 212-592-2251. In addition, Continuing Education offers Open Houses prior to the start of each semester to which faculty members are invited to speak to prospective students.
- Once registered for a Continuing Education course, will I automatically receive the next semester's course bulletin?
Yes, students registered for Continuing Education courses automatically receive the next semester's course bulletin. However, please be sure to keep the Division of Continuing Education aware of any changes to your address.
- What does CEU stand for?
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are a nationally recognized standard of measurement for students participating in nonacademic credit granting programs. One CEU is defined as ten hours of participation.
- Who may use SVA's Career Development office?
SVA's Career Development Office is available for those students enrolled in a degree program. The Division of Continuing Education offers Open Houses prior to the start of each semester where students can learn from some of our distinguished faculty about opportunities in a chosen field or profession.
- Will I receive a school ID if I register for a Continuing Education course?
The Registrar's Office will email a schedule to Continuing Education students, which affords the student access to certain campus resources.
- Will my current college accept CEUs from the School of Visual Arts?
While the School of Visual Arts is a fully accredited institution, the decision to accept SVA CEUs for transfer resides with the institution at which you are enrolled.
- Are there any exhibition opportunities for CE students and alumni?
Yes. The Division of Continuing Education offers students and alumni the opportunity to showcase work online - through the CE Gallery page and on its social media networks - and in exhibition spaces on campus. For more details, click here.