This is a preview. Please close this window when you are done.

UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents
1. When are bills sent?

Students are not billed until they are actually registered. After registration is confirmed, the beginning of the billing cycle starts in mid-June or early July for fall semester students; early-November for spring semester students; and mid-April for summer students. Continuous billing statements are sent on or before the fifteenth of the month for active students with a prearranged payment plan.

2. When is the tuition due date?
  • The fall semester due date is August 1
  • The spring semester due date is December 1
  • The summer semester due date is May 1

If a student is registering after the semester's tuition due date, but before the beginning of classes, then tuition is due prior to being given registration clearance.

3. How can payment be made?

By personal check, bank check or money order drawn on a US bank in US funds made payable to SVA, wire transfer, or by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card or JCB International card. Students should always include their ID number on the check or money order to properly credit their account. Please do not send post dated checks. They will be deposited upon receipt. Double endorsed, or third party, checks are not accepted.

Please be aware that there is a $20 fee for all returned checks, plus any late fees that may apply. All returns are redeposited. Any student with multiple returns may no longer be allowed to pay by personal check.

You can also pay your bill online. The School of Visual Arts, in conjunction with Cashnet, has a secure web-based service that allows students and parents to receive and pay their college bills online. 

4. How can I pay by wire transfer?

You will need the following information to send a wire transfer to SVA to pay for your tuition. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing.

Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. 
420 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Attn: Operations Manager

For the account of School of Visual Arts
Account Number: 4121919880
ABA Number:  121000248

Swift code: WFBIUS6S

Be sure to indicate the student's SVA ID number.

5. What is the SVA Payment Plan?

Students may choose to pay annual tuition charges in 10 monthly installments; 5 installments per semester. The agreement is for the fall and spring semesters and payments begin on August 1 and end on May 1. Students will be asked to sign the Payment Plan Application and Agreement form. SVA offers this option free of any interest or finance charge. There is a $200 processing fee for participating in the plan. SVA will consider all approved financial aid awards when calculating the payment plan, thereby reducing the amount of the monthly installment.

International students are only eligible for the payment plan after they have attended at least one full time semester at SVA and paid the tuition on time and in full.

Provided your previous semester balance is paid in full, your payment record with SVA has not been in default and you are not an international student in his/her first year, you may fill out the Payment Plan Application and Agreement and send it to us for review. You will find the form on the right hand side of this page.

6. What if I haven't heard from the financial aid office and don't know how much I will be getting in loans and other aid?

If you are a current student at the college and have received full aid in the past, you may be able to defer your bill based on previous aid history. Contact the Office of Student Accounts for a deferral. If you are a new student with no previous record of financial aid at the College, you will be expected to pay your total semester bill up front or sign up for a payment plan.

7. What if I can't find my bill or did not receive a bill before it is time to pay?

View your bill online. If the address on the bill online is not correct, contact the Office of the Registrar to correct your address. Just remember that payment deadlines are neither extended nor suspended because you can't find or didn't receive a bill.

8. I have moved recently. What should I do to update my address?

You can update your address by contacting the Registrar’s office at 212.592.2200 or via email at You can also access the Address Change Request Form in the Downloads section of the Registrar’s page on this site.

9. If my parents (company, grandparents, spouse, godfather) are paying my bill, why don't you send it to them?

According to federal law (FERPA-the Buckley Amendment) a college student's record, including student account records and bill, are the student's property and responsibility. You must give us a written approval requesting that all bills are to be sent to your designated billing address. Just remember that when you are accepted to the College, your first agreement is between you and the College. We agree to provide instructional services and by you accepting your enrollment you are agreeing to pay for it. Your other agreement is between you and the person(s) promising to make payment. Even if you send us a written approval of a designated person or billing address, the bill will be sent to your attention in care of the assigned billing address. You are still solely responsible for any payments due to the college and solely responsible to make sure that all payments are made when due by whomever you assign to pay your tuition.

10. My parents are divorced and their agreement says that my father and/or mother is/are obligated to pay for my college education. If I or they send you a copy of the court agreement will you send them the bill?

Such terms in a divorce do not constitute payment arrangements for your College bill. This is a private matter between your parents and has nothing to do with the College. The bill will be sent to your attention in care of the assigned billing address. You are solely responsible for any payments due to the college and solely responsible to make sure that all payments are made when due by whomever has been assigned to pay your tuition.

11. Part of my bill will be paid by me and the other part will be paid by an assigned billing address. Can you send two different bills?

No. Only one bill for the total amount due will be sent to an assigned billing address. You are solely responsible for all payments due to the College.

12. My employer has a tuition reimbursement plan. Can I defer payment until I get reimbursed?

No. Tuition reimbursement means they will pay you back for whatever tuition you paid. Most of these plans require that the student complete the course with a required grade. Such agreements are between the employee and the employer. Remember, you are solely responsible for all payments due to the College.

13. What if I change my mind after I registered and decided not to go to school for the semester?

You must officially file a withdrawal with your advisor in writing or in person in order to cancel your registration. If you fail to do so, you will remain registered and will have full liability for your charges, even if you have not attended a single class.

14. What happens to my enrollment fee if I decide not to register?

The nonrefundable enrollment fee is required of all prospective students after their acceptance for admission. It serves as your guarantee to the College of your intention to register and enroll and our guarantee to make sure we reserve a place for you.

15. What if I decide to postpone my enrollment to a later semester after my acceptance. Do I need to pay another enrollment fee?

Your enrollment fee will be deferred up to one semester from the day you were accepted. You must make a special request from the director of admissions if you wish to postpone your enrollment to a later semester.

16. If I stop attending one of my classes, will I be dropped?

No. Once you are officially registered, you will remain registered unless you take action to withdraw. You will probably get a failing grade, but you will still have to pay for the course.

17. Will I get charged for dropping a class?

There is no penalty or liability for any course adjustment completed during the course adjustment period. The course adjustment period is typically held during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semester. You can find the specific dates for each semester's course adjustment period listed in the academic calendar.

However, if you drop any course after the course adjustment period is over, you will be charged for the percentage of tuition for which you are liable. The only exception being if you stay within full time tuition (12-15 credits for most programs). The percentages of liability for course adjustment after the course adjustment period are the same as the percentages of liability upon withdrawal. See below for those percentages.

Please note, there is a $100 late course adjustment fee charged to all students who add any courses after the course adjusment period has ended.

18. Will I get a refund if I withdraw from SVA?

The enrollment fee is nonrefundable. The health insurance fee is refundable only if withdrawal occurs prior to the applicable semester waiver deadline. The waiver deadline is located on the Student Health and Counseling Services webpage. 

Students who wish to withdraw from SVA must notify their academic advisor in writing. Written approval from a parent or guardian must be included if the student is under 18 years of age. The effective date of the withdrawal is the date written notification is received by the academic advisor. Lack of attendance alone does not entitle a student to a refund. 

Refunds, less the nonrefundable enrollment fee and health insurance fee (if applicable), are made after the prorated percentages of liability are applied, unless superseded by an existing state or accrediting agency refund policy. Upon withdrawal from the semester, SVA does not charge any department or course fees. However, payment plan fees, late fees and any other administrative fees are not prorated. Only tuition and housing costs are prorated. Prorated housing costs are based on the check out date, not the official date of withdrawal. 


The NEW prorated percentages of liability (tuition and fees owed) are based on the official date of withdrawal, as follows:

Undergraduate and Graduate Programs

0% liability if withdrawal occurs through the first week of the semester

25% liability if withdrawal occurs during the second week of the semester

50 % liability if withdrawal occurs during the third week of the semester

75% liability if withdrawal occurs during the fourth week of the semester

100% liability if withdrawal occurs after the fourth week

No refund will occur for withdrawal after the fourth week of the semester. 

Title IV recipients should note that the amount of the student refund will be calculated only after the aid proceeds are appropriately returned to each program. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information on Title IV refunds.

19. Where will my refund be sent?

If you are expecting a refund check, upon course adjustment or an overage created by financial aid, we highly recommend that you sign up for E-Refunds so that your refund can be deposited directly into the bank account of your choosing (US bank accounts only). This option means no worrying over the address on file, or waiting for a check in the mail. You will receive an email notifying you when your E-Refund has been issued. 

To sign up for E-Refunds, log in to WebAdvisor, click on the Financial Information Menu and then click E-Check Bank Information.

Please note, E-Refunds are only available for student refunds, not parent loan refunds. 

If you choose not to sign up for E-Refunds, your refund check will be mailed to the address you have designated as your Refund Address. If you have no designated Refund Address, you refund check will automatically be sent to your local address. If you have no local address, the preferred address listed in our database will be where the check will be sent.

All address  queries, updates and changes need to be made with the Registrar. You may contact them at or access the Address Change Request Form in the Downloads section of the Registrar’s page on this site.

Please make sure to keep your addresses updated if you move.

Except in cases of an overage caused by a Parent Loan, a credit card payment, or some scholarships and third party organizations, all refund checks are made payable to the student. 

Need your tax forms?
Click here to obtain your 1098-T form online.
1098-T form
Contact Information
  • Student Accounts

    342 East 24th Street

    Concourse Level

    New York, NY 10010

    Tel: 212-592-2080

    Fax: 212-592-2088

School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587