UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents

SVA issues 1098-T forms each year in late January

The forms are posted online via the Maximus TRA website here, and mailed to the student's home address on file.

Please note: The amount reported on the 1098-T may not be the amount you would report on your tax return. It is the responsibility of each taxpayer to determine eligibility for educational tax benefits and how to calculate them.
The School of Visual Arts is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, but should you have questions, seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or the IRS.

*Important* Change in Reporting for 2018

In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related (QTRE) expenses we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.)

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

General Information
You should only expect a 1098-T form if you attended at least one credit earning course for the calendar year just ended, and you fall into one of the categories below:

  -  US citizens and permanent residents - Forms are mailed and available online

  -  International students - Forms are posted online only

You must provide the Office of the Registrar with your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) as well as your correct home address by December 1st in order for your 1098-T form to reflect this information when it is mailed, uploaded and/or reported to the IRS.

Box Descriptions
Box 1

This box shows the total payments received by the School of Visual Arts for qualified tuition and related expenses.

*PLEASE NOTE: Beginning in 2018, the School of Visual Arts reports amounts paid in Box 1; therefore, Box 2 is blank.

What are qualified tuition and related expenses? Tuition and certain expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. For example: Tuition, department fees, course fees.

Examples of expenses that are not qualified and thus are not reported: Housing, health insurance, payment plan fees, fines, late fees, living expenses.

If you'd like to view copies of your billing statements showing payments received, please log in here to view your statements on our online bill payment site.

Box 2

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses you paid during the year; therefore, Box 2 will be left blank.

Box 3

This box indicates whether your educational institution changed its method of reporting for 2018.

We have changed our method of reporting. Please see above for more information.

Box 4 This box will only be populated if, during the calendar year being reported, adjustments were made to a prior semester that was already reported on a previous year's form.
Box 5 Any scholarships or grants paid to and/or administered by SVA during the calendar year are reported in this box.
Box 6 Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year are shown here, if applicable. 
Box 7 This box shows whether the amount in Box 1 includes payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses for an academic period beginning January – March 2019.
Box 8 If this box is checked, it indicates that you were a part-time student during any academic period that began during the calendar year being reported
Box 9

This box shows whether you are considered to be enrolled in a program leading to a graduate degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential.

Social Security Number Your form will only list your social security number (or ITIN) if you have supplied this information to SVA prior to December 1 of the calendar year in question. Please note, your form will only show the last 4 digits of your SSN.

Please refer to the bottom of your form, or to the IRS, for any further questions about the form or about additional boxes.

Domestic Students

Our college is providing a 1098-T form to alert you to the possibility that you, your parents, or your guardians may be eligible for the American Opportunity Tax Credit under the Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning tax credit. This information will help determine whether you or the person who may claim you as a dependent, may claim a tax credit for the Hope or Lifetime Learning tax credit.

Please be advised that the College cannot determine if you qualify for a tax credit. You should obtain IRS publication 970 and IRS form 8863, or contact a tax professional about personal income tax situations. The IRS website for the above forms is: www.irs.gov/formspubs. You can also call the IRS at 800.829.1040.

International Students

Forms are NOT mailed to international students and are not reported to the IRS.

All international students are provided a courtesy 1098-T form, available online only, here. Enter your SVA ID number and your name EXACTLY as it appears on your SVA id.

Login assistance for your 1098-T

Your 1098-T form is located online at tra.maximus.com.

If you have never used the Maximus TRA Service website to retrieve a 1098-T form, you MUST click the First Time Students button in order to register for the site. Please type your first and last name in exactly as printed on your SVA id card. 

Students who have used the site before can simply enter their User ID and password.

If you have forgotten either your User ID or your password, please use the Forgot your password? or Forgot your User ID? prompts on the GDIT TRA site.

Additionally, there is login assistance and information available by using Info box, to the left hand side of the login page.

tra.vangent.com login page

Request a copy of your 1098-T

For immediate access, you can view and print a copy of your 1098-T form at the Maximus TRA service website here.

Alternatively, you can submit a written request to the Office of Student Accounts. Written requests for 1098-T reissues can only be submitted by the student. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing time.

Written requests can be submitted in the following ways:

  • Emailed request from the student via their SVA email address
  • Emailed request from the student via a non-sva email address with an attached letter bearing the student's signature 
  • Letter submitted in person in our office, mailed to us or faxed, from the student and bearing their signature (See our contact information at sva.edu/studentaccounts)

Written requests should include to where the form should be sent. Please note, we will only email a 1098-T form to SVA email addresses.

If you did not receive your form because the home address on file, to where your form was mailed, is wrong, please first update your home address with the Office of the Registrar. Please note, while we will reprint and forward you copies of your 1098-T to any address that you request, SVA will not update the form itself. It is your responsibility to keep your home address up to date and current on file with SVA and to make any necessary corrections prior to December 1 in order for SVA to have the most up to date address for you. 

Request a revision or correction


If you did not supply SVA with your social security number or you did not have a social security number, your form will be blank in the "Student's Social Security Number" box. If you now have a SSN to report and would like your form to reflect this, please follow these steps:

1. Submit your social security number to SVA's Office of the Registrar. Contact the Registrar at 212.592.2200.

2. Make sure your address is correct with the Office of the Registrar.

3. Submit a request in writing, bearing your signature, to the Office of Student Accounts requesting that your form(s) be updated to reflect your SSN which has now been submitted to the Registrar. Please do NOT supply the Office of Student Accounts with your SSN. 

Please note, SVA will only make revisions to forms within the last 3 calendar years. Revision requests submitted for address changes only will not be completed. You may change the address on your form only if you are submitting an additional revision for a SSN revision.

Please allow 5-10 business days for revision processing time. Once your form is revised with your SSN, it will automatically be reported to the IRS at that time.


SVA will make corrections to any information that was reported incorrectly within 1-2 business days of being made aware of the correction needed. A correction would be any information listed within the boxes of the form that is not accurate. If you feel a correction should be made, please contact the Office of Student Accounts in writing with your concerns. If we find that an error has been made, the correction will be made on your form, and this information will be submitted to the IRS and the form remailed to you. 

Will loans and scholarships be included in my 1098-T?

Yes, loans and scholarships used to pay qualified tuition charges are considered in the same manner as cash payments when generating your 1098-T form.

Why didn't I receive my 1098-T in the mail?

There are three likely reasons that you did not receive your 1098-T form in the mail.

1. You did not take any credit earning classes during the tax year. For example, Continuing Education students signed up for non-credit earning classes will not receive a 1098-T form. If you fall into this category, you may request a copy of your billing statement by submitting a written request to the Office of Student Accounts.

2. You are an international student and SVA does not mail forms to international students. However, you can obtain a copy of your courtesy 1098-T by going online, at the website mentioned above in the section for International Students. Please follow all login directions. If you DO have a social security number and need to revise your 1098-T, please see the "Revisions or Corrections" tab.

3. The address to where the form was mailed is no longer accurate. Your form was mailed to the home address on file with the Office of the Registrar. If you did not update this address by December 1, SVA has no way of knowing your current/correct address. It is your responsibility to keep your address updated at all times. Please see question "I need a copy of my 1098-T" in order to follow directions to obtain a copy of your form.

Why is Box 2 blank?

Prior to tax year 2018, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

Box 2 will no longer be used.

Where can I get a 1098-T from prior years?

Prior year 1098-T forms can be found online via the Maximus TRA website here.

Where can I view a breakdown of my payments and tuition charges?

Students can access their billing statements through Cashnet, our online payment portal, by visiting www.sva.edu/paybill.

Where can I find additional tax resources and information?

Please view the following helpful resources below:

IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education:


Form 8863- Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits):


Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center: 


Contact Information
  • Student Accounts

    342 East 24th Street

    Concourse Level

    New York, NY 10010

    Tel: 212-592-2080

    Fax: 212-592-2088


School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587