UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding our Intern/Visiting Student Summer Housing Program.

What are the occupancy dates for each building and are they negotiable?

You have the option of registering for the following for summer 2019:

May 26, 2019 - July 6, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 6 weeks)

June 2, 2019 - July 13, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 6 weeks)

May 19, 2019 - July 20, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 9 weeks)

May 26, 2019 - July 27, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 9 weeks)

June 2, 2019 - August 3, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 9 weeks)

June 9, 2019 - August 10, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 9 weeks)

June 16, 2019 - August 17, 2019- 24th Street Residence (shortened session- 9 weeks)

June 2, 2019 - August 3, 2019 - Gramercy Residence (shortened session - 9 weeks)

May 26, 2019 - August 10, 2019- 24th Street Residence (standard session- 11 weeks)

May 26, 2019 - August 10, 2019- Gramercy Residence (standard session- 11 weeks)

May 26, 2019 - August 10, 2019- Ludlow Residence (standard session- 11 weeks)

June 2, 2019 - August 17, 2019- 24th Street Residence (standard session- 11 weeks)


May 20, 2018 - August 11, 2018- Ludlow Residence (extended session- 12 weeks)

May 27, 2018 - August 18, 2018- Ludlow Residence (extended session- 12 weeks)

May 20, 2017 - August 18, 2018- Ludlow Residence (extended session- 13 weeks)


Interns register for the entire session for a flat rate and you are not be prorated or refunded for a later arrival or earlier departure.

My internship goes later than my contract date. Can I extend my stay?

SVA cannot extend your stay beyond your contract date.  We have to prepare our buildings for incoming staff and students for the fall semester.  If you email the Summer Housing Office, summerhousing@sva.edu, we can provide you a list of short-term housing options that may be able to accommodate you for the additional time that you need.

Can I register for summer housing and apply for an additional week's stay in the Ludlow Residence for just the last or first week?

You can not register for one week of housing and move-over from one residence hall to another.  If you want to secure your stay through this date, you should register for the appropriate option to meet your needs.

I've previously stayed in an SVA residence hall that I no longer see listed. Could I reserve a space there?

The Tenth Street Residence and George Washington Residences are no longer an option for summer intern housing at the School of Visual Arts (SVA).  

When attempting to register and pay, why do I get the message "your payment has been canceled"
This usually means that your credit card has been declined. This normally occurs because your financial institution, who issued your credit card, put a hold on payment because it exceeds your daily limit or it is flagged as "unusual activity" on the account.
You will need to contact your financial institution and speak with them directly.  You can request that your limit be raised or notify them officially of your purchase to the School of Visual Arts for "x" amount of dollars.  This usually clears the matter.  After you have resolved the issue, you can attempt to register online again.
Am I supposed to receive a confirmation when I register?

When you register online, you will usually receive an immediate confirmation of payment.  You should expect to receive a preliminary email confirmation of your registration from the summerhousing@sva.edu address, within 3 business days.  A final confirmation, including your housing assigment and check-in instructions, will be sent you via email before or by the second week of May.

I really want a single room to myself, where do you recommend?

The Ludlow Residence Hall has the greatest number of single room accomodations.  

The Gramercy Residence Hall offers studio apartments as single occupancy (for one person only).  However, the Gramercy Residence Hall has very limited numbers of these apartment types.

Does SVA provide gym facilities?

The SVA 24th Street Residence does have a fitness center and yoga room.  These amenities are only available to interns to register for housing at this facility.  

However, there are numerous gyms close by that generally offer short term memberships for the summer for occupants in our other summer housing options.  Below is a list of gyms that are close to the residence halls.  SVA does not endorse nor is affiliated with any of the following gym facilities.

Gramercy Residence Hall

New York Health & Raquet Ball Club

New York Sports Club

Synergy Fitness Club

Ludlow Residence Hall

Ludlow Fitness 

How do I check in? Where do I go? And what time can I start to move in?

We try to make move-in as easy as possible!  You'll go to your assigned building, and notify security that you are there to check in.  Residents can move into the residence halls 24-hours a day, starting at 9 am on their move in date.  You will recieve more detailed move in information via email, along with a building FAQ, with your room assignment in early May.

If you arrive at a time when a staff member is not available to complete your check-in paperwork with you, security will give you access to your room, and you will be able to complete your check-in paperwork the next day.

Does SVA offer a meal plan to summer residents?

SVA does not offer a meal plan for summer residents.  All of our residence halls are in great neighborhoods for dining out and are close to several grocery stores.  All of our residence halls provide kitchen facilities.

I can't move in on my start date, may I have someone pick up my keys for me and/or leave my belongings in my room?

Summer residents do not need to move in on their actual start date.  They can move in starting on their assigned move-in day, or any day after that, up until the last day of your contract date.

For security purposes, we cannot provide access to anyone but the resident who registered the room.  Room keys will be issued only to the assigned resident. Belongings may not be dropped off or shipped prior to the resident checking into the building.

Can I ship my belongings prior to my arrival?

Due to the limited storage space for packages and the volume of residents moving in, we cannot accept pacakges for residents who have not checked into their rooms.  Please do not send packages prior to your arrival, as they will be returned to sender.

After you have checked into the residence hall, Security will accept packages on your behalf and store them at the Security desk until you come to retrieve them.

Even though I'm of age, am I not allowed to have alcohol in the residence hall?

That is correct.  SVA is a dry campus and alcohol is not allowed in the residence halls.  Summer occupants are held to the conduct standard of their housing agreement.  SVA reserves the right to report judicial matters to a student's home college, at our college's discretion.

How do I sign in an overnight guest?

Signing in an overnight guests is easy!  The resident fills out an Overnight Guest Form and has their roommate (if applicable) sign it too.  The Overnight Guest Form needs to submitted to the security desk before or by 11 pm of the night your guest is staying.  Your guest does not need to be present when you turn in the Overnight Guest Form to security.  You can give security the Overnight Guest Form anytime before 11 pm - on your way to work that morning, the day before, or whatever time is convenient for you before 11 pm.

If your guest is staying more than 3 consecutive nights, then the Residence Hall Director needs to sign it for approval.  You can get the Residence Hall Director to sign off on approval by submitting it to our office at least 2 business days in advance to your guest arriving.  The Residence Hall Director will either approve it and leave the form with security, or deny it and call to discuss it further with you.

What should and shouldn't I bring?

This is a general list of items to bring and not to bring with you this summer.  You will recieve more building specific lists with your room assignment in early May.

What to Bring…

  • Bedding for an extra long twin
  • Kitchen utensils, plates, and cookware
  • Computer and/or TV
  • Lamps, if you need additional lighting 
  • Clothes & Hangers
  • Towels
  • Toiletries, including toilet paper
  • School ID or Government Issued Picture ID that we can put a building sticker on

 What NOT to Bring…

  • Personal Furniture
  • Pets or Animals of any kind
  • Halogen Lights or Lamps
  • Candles or Incense
  • Wireless routers
What time do I have to check out by on my final checkout date?

You will need to be checked out by 12 pm on the date of the end of your summer contract.  Your Residence Hall Director will email you detailed check out information a couple weeks prior to check out and/or post signage in your residence hall.  Checkout protocol will also be listed in your building handbook, which you will receive with your final confirmation and housing assignment in early May. 

Contact Information
  • SVA Office of Summer Housing

    340E 24 Street

    Ground Level

    New York, NY 10010

    Tel: 212-592-2984


School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587