This is a preview. Please close this window when you are done.

UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents
Do you offer summer housing?

Summer housing is offered for SVA as well as non-SVA students. If you need further information please check out the summer housing page, or e-mail us at

How can I take a housing tour?

All of our residence halls offer tours. Please click here and look under Housing Tours to find the latest information.

How do I apply for housing?

If you are an incoming student and you have received your acceptance letter from SVA, submit your housing deposit and your enrollment fees to the Office of Admissions. They will update your student status and will inform our office of your interest in housing. You will then receive an email inviting you to complete the online housing application. If you are a current SVA student, please email and check MySVA for updates.

How do I cancel housing?

Before considering cancelling your housing assignment, you must review the corresponding housing agreement.  The housing agreement is for the full academic year including fall and spring semesters.  The housing agreements are available as PDF downloads on this page.  

Questions and concerns regarding housing cancellations should be directed to the Office of Residence Life at

What are the housing rates?

Housing rates can be found here under Housing Costs and Rates.

Summer housing rates for matriculated students can be found here.

Summer housing rates for visiting students and interns can be found here.

What happens during breaks? (Thanksgiving, Winter, etc)

SVA's Residence Halls are open year-round including during school breaks when the College administrative offices are closed. There is always 24-hour security as well as Residence Life staff members on duty.

What is the Residence Life "Gender Inclusive Housing" Policy?

The Office of Residence Life is committed to providing comfortable, welcoming, and safe housing options for all students.  Gender-Inclusive housing (GIH) is an initiative that allows two or more students to share a multiple-occupancy room, suite, or apartment regardless of the students’ sex or gender.  GIH furthers the College’s non-discrimination policy and provides housing options for students who may identify as transgender, are more comfortable living with another sex or gender, or do not wish to prescribe to gender classifications.  Although the College respects the privacy of individuals and will not require students to reveal their reasons for opting into GIH, this option is not recommended for couples in romantic relationships.  Further guidelines to the policy are outlined below.

GIH is available to all students.  All eligible returning students, who participate in the "Returning Student Room Selection Process" receive a notification about the Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) policy during the room selection process and the options, should they wish to select Gender Inclusive Housing.  Gender-inclusive housing is also available to first-year and transfer students. Incoming first-year and transfer students will have the option of selecting gender-inclusive housing via the student housing application. First-year and transfer students who indicate they are interested in GIH will be contacted by a Residence Life professional staff member so that the College can provide housing that best meets the needs of the student.

Placement into SVA housing is otherwise based on same-gender matching unless students specify and request Gender-Inclusive Housing (GIH).  Below is the SVA Gender Inclusive Housing policy.

SVA Gender-Inclusive Housing Policy

The following policy and conditions are applicable to students who elect to live in a gender-inclusive space.

  • Students may choose to request a roommate(s) of any sex or gender.

  • Residence Life will only honor those requests made by all parties living within the same living space (i.e., room, apartment, suite).

  • Returning students must select spaces with their prospective roommate(s) following the same processes and deadlines of all students entering the housing selection process.

  • Students will not be required to reveal their reasons for opting to live in gender-inclusive housing, although romantic relationships within the same living space are discouraged.

  • Students will not be assigned to gender-inclusive housing unless they have elected to do so.  Although we feel that students are able to make decisions about their housing situation, we encourage students to maintain an open dialogue with their families about their decision to live in a gender-inclusive situation.

  • As with any roommate situation, conflict between individuals may arise.  We strongly encourage proactive conversation between roommates regarding room preferences, utilizing a roommate agreement.  Your RA will be facilitating a roommate agreement with you.  Room change requests due to conflict will follow the same procedure as any other conflict, using the student staff and/or professional staff members to aid the situation.

  • When there is a vacancy in a gender-inclusive space, the student(s) remaining in the room may elect to pull in any new roommate whose age is appropriate for the style of housing, following other standard procedures within Residence Life.  In the event of an additional resident moving into the space, all parties must be agreeable to the change.

  • Any space in Ludlow, 23rd Street Residence, and 24th Street Residence can be gender-inclusive.  This avoids segregation and offers students gender-inclusive housing within multiple housing styles.  The default designation for a room, apartment, or suite will be single-gender unless the students selecting into the space opt to create a gender-inclusive pair/group.  Once a room, apartment, suite is gender-inclusive that space will continue to be gender-inclusive as long as the residents can continue to occupy the living space.
When does RA selection happen?

RA Selection is the process where the resident assistant staff is selected for the following academic year.  Each year, the RA selection process begins in late January for the following academic year.  Students must have completed at least one full time undergraduate semester at SVA to apply for an RA position. Email for more information.

School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587