This is a preview. Please close this window when you are done.

UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents
Can I apply for financial aid for the summer?

Generally any matriculating student attempting six or more credits during the summer semester may be eligible for aid. We encourage all students interested in summer assistance to contact a financial aid advisor.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes, a new application is required every year. You will receive a FAFSA renewal application, either in the mail or if you filed online by way of an e-mail from the Department of Education. You may also complete a new FAFSA online at or by picking one up in our office.

Do I need to be admitted before I apply for financial aid?

You should apply for aid as soon as possible after October 1st. Only students accepted for admission will be considered for financial aid eligibility.

How do I apply for financial aid?

All students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as the first step in the application process. The fastest way to apply is online at FAFSA on the web at Don't forget to appropriately sign the certification page when you have finished the online application.

How is the FAFSA filed?

You can file your FAFSA online at

I am an international student, am I eligible for financial aid?

Students who are attending college on a student visa do not qualify for federal and state Financial Aid. There are some alternative loans that you can apply for with a co-signer who is a U.S. Citizen. We also recommend applying for scholarships. You may research scholarship opportunities at, a scholarship search engine which focuses on international students.

Where can I get more information about outside scholarships?

There are many useful scholarship search engines on the web. Here are just a few we recommend:


When should I file the 2020-21 FAFSA?

You can now submit your 2020-21 FAFSA form as early as October 1, 2019 using your 2018 tax information.  You can file the 2020-21 FAFSA form online at using your FSA ID login credentials to electronically sign.

What are SVA’s codes for federal and state aid programs?

The federal school code for SVA is 007468 and should be listed when filing your FAFSA

Our school code for New York State's Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is 7858. This code should be listed when you file the NYS Express TAP Application.

When can I expect to receive an award offer?

Beginning March 1st, our office will make every effort to send you an award letter within 2 weeks (depending on the time of year) of receiving your FAFSA results.

Where can I find my financial aid application processing / status?

FAFSA on the Web
New York State Higher Education Services Corporation
Social Security Administration
Selective Service
Federal Student Aid

What is the maximum annual borrowing limit for my Direct Stafford Loans?

The maximum annual borrowing limits for direct student loans are located at the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the difference in interest rates between the Federal Loan programs?

Interest rate comparisons for student loans can be found at website.

Where can I register to vote?

Board of Elections

If I decide to withdraw or take a leave of absence from SVA, is there anything I need to complete with the financial aid office?

You will need to complete loan exit counseling if you have received a Perkins Loan or a Direct Loan.

School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587