1) I haven't received any mailings about graduation; what should I do? You should verify your mailing address with your academic advisor, student advisor, assistant to your department chair, director of operations, and the Office of Academic Advisement.
2) I have family in another country who want to attend my graduation. How do I get permission for them to enter the U.S. for the ceremony? School of Visual Arts cannot arrange entrance into the United States. However, you can request a letter from the Office of Academic Advisement to state that you are a candidate in the Class of 2015.
3) What time can guests enter the Hall? To be announced.
4) Is parking available in the area? Information will be provided when the Hall is selected.
5) Is the Hall wheelchair accessible? Information will be provided when the Hall is selected.
6) Are there considerations for hearing-impaired candidates and guests? Candidates and guests who require an interpreter for the hearing impaired should contact A.-Lucky Checkley, Jr, by e-mail before March 6, 2015 at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Who is the Commencement speaker? The 2015 Commencement Speaker has not been selected. The 2014 Commencement Speaker was John Lewis, United States Congressman.
2) What is the correct academic attire? Commencement attire is provided by SVA when candidates complete all graduation requirements.
3) Do I go up on stage during the ceremony? Yes. Each candidate will go up on stage after their name is announced, to meet with the President and their department chair.
2) Whom may I contact for additional Commencement information? Continue to review this Commencement section of the website thoroughly. If you are still having trouble locating the information you need, please call the Office of Coordinator of Academic Advisement at 212.592.2540.
Date, Time, Location, Duration
1) What is the date and time of Commencement? To be announced. The ceremony will begin at 1:00 p.m.
2) Where is Commencement held? To be announced.
3) How long does the ceremony typically last? The ceremony for Graduate and Undergraduate candidates should last about three and a half hours.
4) Will there be announcement cards? No. Our college does not provide announcement cards.
1) Who is eligible to participate in the ceremony? Graduate, and Undergraduate candidates who have completed all of the degree requirements.
2) If I am not eligible, but still want to participate in the ceremony, what do I do? You must put your request in writing before April 10th, to: A.-Lucky Checkley, Jr., Coordinator of Academic Advisement. His e-mail address is email@example.com. Your request will be reviewed in committee, and you will be informed of the decision within two weeks of your request.
3) What clearances do I have to obtain in order to graduate? Complete a degree application with your academic advisor, student advisor or assistant to the chair before January 2015. Complete all credits and required courses by April 30, 2015.
Submit documentation of Portfolio/Thesis for SVA archives to the department chair before April 30, 2015.
Pay all financial obligations owed to the College by April 30, 2015.
If you have received any type of guaranteed student loan through the school, you need an exit interview clearance from the Office of Financial Aid.
Return all books to the library by April 30, 2015.
4) Who do I contact if I have doubts regarding my academic standing? Graduate candidates should contact their student advisor or assistant to the chair. Undergraduate candidates should contact their academic advisor.
1) What time is graduation rehearsal? To be announced.
1) How many tickets will each candidate receive? Each candidate will receive five admission tickets. One ticket is for the candidate, and the other four tickets are for their guests.
2) Do I need a ticket for a child or baby? YES. If the child or baby will need to occupy a seat, a ticket is needed.
3) How do I obtain tickets to Commencement? Candidates will be contacted by the e-mail address they have provided after May 5, by the Office of Academic Advisement when all graduation requirements (as specified on the checklist) have been fulfilled, and informed that their tickets, and commencement attire are available for pick up.
Extra tickets If you would like to request additional tickets, please fill out and submit the online Additional Commencement Ticket Request Form. Extra tickets cannot be guaranteed; however, we attempt to honor all requests based on available tickets. All requests must be received before Friday May 1st, 2015.
If you are unable to pick up your tickets, cap and gown, we ask that the person you send for these items present a letter of authorization, with your SVA ID number, signed by you.