UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAbout SVAStudent LifeAttend SVAAfter SVA

SVA allows eligible students to receive three (3) studio elective credits for an approved internship. Internships are graded based on the requirements below, and are awarded a Pass/Fail grade. Students may not begin working until all paperwork has been approved by Career Development, and credit can only be awarded for the semester in which the student interns. Credit cannot be awarded retroactively. For information on eligibility, requirements, and enrollment steps, see below.


Students interested in completing an internship for credit must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Junior or Senior status (graduate students may intern with their department chair’s permission)
  • Cumulative GPA 3.25 or higher
Requirements to Receive Credit

To Receive credit, you must:

  • Complete all required paperwork (see checklist in Enrollment Steps in the next menu).  Credits are not awarded retroactively
  • Participate in the weekly online course by writing and contributing to discussion posts.
  • Complete at least 150 internship hours between the first and last days of the semester: January 12 - May 4, 2015.
  • Submit your Attendance Record to Career Development by the deadline (April 20, 2015).
Internships are graded Pass/Fail.  Failure to complete coursework will result in an F.



Enrollment Steps

1.  Determine if you meet the criteria for internship for credit:

  • Junior or senior; or graduate student on a case-by-case basis
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
2.  Find an internship utilizing the following resources:
  • Use the SVA online job board (www.collegecentral.com/sva) and other online job boards
  • Tap into your own network (faculty, friends, etc.)
  • Apply directly to employers through their company websites
  • Make a career counseling appointment to discuss your search strategy -- call 212.592.2370
3.  Complete the required internship forms available to download or for pickup at Career Development:
  • 4-page Internship for Credit Application form (completed by you and your employer) -- This form will be available for download in November.
  • CPT Request Form (International Students ONLY)
  • Letter of Hire (International Students ONLY)
4.  Submit all forms to Career Development by THURSDAY, JANUARY 22! Stop by the Office of Career Development at 136 West 21 Street, 6th floor, to meet with a career counselor who will sign the Agreement Form and approve the internship. Counselors are only available to sign paperwork on the following dates:
Between 10AM and 4pm: Friday, December 5; Friday, December 12, Friday, January 9, and January 16
By Appointment, Monday - Thursday: January 12 - 15
Between 10AM and 4pm: January 19 - 22

5.  Register internship with ACADEMIC ADVISOR: After Career Development has signed the 4-page Agreement Form, take it to your academic advisor for a signature and registration.  NOTE: Students who have financial holds on their accounts cannot register without clearing the hold.

6.  Submit paperwork to International Students Office (ISO):
After registering for your internship, deliver the signed Agreement Form, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Letter of Hire, CPT Request Form and a copy of your updated class schedule to ISO.

7.  Pick up your I-20 and CPT Authorization from ISO after 5 business days

**International students may only begin their internship after receiving the I-20 and CPT authorization.** 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is an Internship?

  • Students work in a professional environment and gain hands-on experience while learning directly from professionals in their field of study.
  • An internship is generally a low-risk way to explore career options that you are considering.
  • Internships also allow students to begin building their professional creative community before graduation.
  • Internships may be paid (hourly), offer a stipend (lunch/metro card) or unpaid.

Q. Do I meet the requirements for participation in the College’s Internship for Credit program?

  • Students must have Junior or Senior status; graduate students with permission from their department chair.
  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher.
  • International students must be at SVA for a full academic year before their visa allows them to complete an internship.
  • Note that some employers require that students earn credit.

Q. How do I secure an internship and enroll in the Internship for Credit program?

  • Search for an internship on the SVA Job Board, ask for a list of additional web sites through the Office of Career Development, talk with a professor at SVA, or conduct your own research.
  • Connect with the Career Development Office (before accepting an internship) to ensure your desired position meets the requirements of our “for credit” program.
  • All Internships for Credit paperwork must be turned in by the Internship for Credit registration deadline each semester.
  • Intern’s Agreement Forms must be signed in this order: 1) by the student; 2) employer; 3) Career Development Office; 4) then, by the Academic Advisor by the given deadlines.

Q. How do I successfully pass my Internship for Credit?

  • The Internship for Credit course will be graded Pass/Fail.
  • If credit is earned, the 3 credit hours count as studio elective credit toward your degree; as with all credit-earning coursework at SVA, the student is responsible for any changes to her tuition or fees.
  • Interns must complete a minimum of 150 hours at their internship during the semester they are enrolled in the Internship for Credit program.
  • Interns must participate in a weekly discussion board on-line to pass the internship course.
  • Intern’s attendance records, signed by their internship supervisor, must be turned in by the end of the semester.

Q. Who receives Tuition Waivers?

  • If you are taking 15 credits before the internship for credit, and the internship is credit required, then you may request a Tuition Waiver from the Career Development Office.
  • If your internship does not require that you earn credit, yet you choose to participate “for credit,” then you will be billed for the additional 3 credits you are earning.
Q. When can I begin working at my internship?
  • Students may begin working at their internship ONLY once their internship paperwork has been approved and signed by the Office of Career Development.
  • International students may not begin working until they have received their approved CPT paperwork from the International Student Office. 
  • Students may not begin working before the first day of classes of the semester in which they plan to receive credit.

Q. Can I get credit for my internship a semester after I've completed the work?

  • No; credit cannot be awarded retroactively. You can only receive credit during the semester in which you completed the internship, and only then if the internship was previously approved by Career Development. 

School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587