Internship for Credit Program: Employer Enrollment Criteria
When the School of Visual Arts is petitioned for an intern, the following criteria must be met in order to receive consideration for the College’s Internship for Credit Program. Employers must agree to provide:
- A commitment to employ interns for a minimum of 150 hours, falling within the College’s semester period.
- Internship must begin and end within the SVA semester.
- An internship that applies directly to a student’s field of study, fulfilling relevant career objectives.
- A designated creative supervisor, qualified in the area of the student’s major, who gives counsel, advisement and career guidance.
- In-house creative participation in a hands-on learning environment where the student regularly interacts with staff and/or clients.
Once an employer completes the interview process and a student is hired, the employer is asked to:
- Complete the College’s Internship Agreement Form by the appropriate enrollment deadline.
- Work with the intern to identify her or his specific learning goals for the semester.
- Provide hands-on learning opportunities and guidance to help the intern meet her or his learning goals.
- Complete a mid-term evaluation of the intern’s performance to help keep her or him on track in meeting learning goals.
- Ensure intern has logged hours properly and sign her or his weekly attendance records.
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Office of Career Development, especially if any questions, concerns or problems arise with the intern.
- Complete a final evaluation and share any suggestions for improving the program or communications between the College, students and employers.
Career Development monitors the interns’ experiences throughout the semester. The Office is also available to assist employers in developing their internship programs.
Visit the SVA Job Board and select "Employers" to register today. For directions on how to register or post on the SVA Job Board, please review "Employer Instructions for Job Board Registration and Posting" on the upper righthand corner of this page under "Downloads."
In addition, internship employers are encouraged to review the New York Department of Labor Internship Standards and US Department of Labor Internship Standards available for download on the upper righthand corner of this page.
RELEVANT EMPLOYER DEADLINES for SUMMER 2013:
SPRING enrollment for the Internship for Credit Program has CLOSED. We are now accepting applications for SUMMER internships beginning May 1.
Thursday, June 6 –Internship enrollment deadline. No exceptions can be made. All paperwork due to the Office of Career Development.
Monday, August 12 – End of Spring Internship for Credit, all coursework is due (midterm and final evaluations, and attendance record).
Wednesday, August 21 – Last day students may work at their internship.
New York Department of Labor Internship Standards
PDF [35.32 KB]
Application for Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [272.07 KB]
International Student Information and CPT Form for Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [214.51 KB]
US Department of Labor Internship Standards
PDF [35.32 KB]
Employer Enrollment Criteria for Internship for Credit Program, Spring 2013
PDF [29.53 KB]
Record of Attendance - Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [144.32 KB]
Employer Instructions for Job Board Registration and Posting
PDF [43.21 KB]
- New York Department of Labor Internship Standards