Internship for Credit Program
Career Development manages the College's Internship for Credit Program, allowing qualified Juniors and Seniors to gain hands-on experience working with creative professionals. When the School of Visual Arts is petitioned for an intern, the following criteria must be met in order to receive consideration for the College’s Internship for Credit Program. Employers must agree to provide:
• An internship that applies directly to a student’s field of study, fulfilling relevant career objectives.
• A designated creative supervisor, qualified in the area of the student’s major, who gives counsel, advisement and career guidance.
• In-house creative participation in a hands-on learning environment where the student regularly interacts with staff and/or clients.
• A commitment to employ interns for a minimum of 150 hours, falling within the College’s semester period.
STUDENT ENROLLMENT DEADLINES for SUMMER 2013:
Fridays in April and May, and June 3-6 – 10AM-4PM - These days are the ONLY walk-in days to submit your completed paperwork approved and signed by Career Counselors. Otherwise, you may drop your paperwork at any time and pick it up on Friday of that week from 12 pm to 4 pm.
Wednesday, May 1 – First day students may work at their internships if all paperwork has been approved.
Thursday, June 6 – Internship enrollment deadline. No exceptions can be made. All paperwork due to the Office of Career Development.
Monday, August 12 – End of Summer Internship for Credit, all coursework is due (discussion board posts, midterm and final evaluations, and attendance record).
Wednesday, August 21 – Last day students may work at their internship.
*First-time Internship for Credit Program applicants are encouraged to attend an Information Session. Time and dates for sessions can be found here.
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS TO PASS THE COURSE
- Completion of a minimum of 150 hours of work within the SVA semester on site at an approved internship. Attendance records, signed by intern’s supervisor, must be turned in by the deadline. Attendance records and deadlines are posted on the Career Development website, www.sva.edu/student-life/career-development, and in the Internship for Credit online classroom.
- Completion of two self evaluations: a midterm self-evaluation and a final self-evaluation. Evaluations and completion deadlines are posted on the Career Development website, and in the Internship for Credit online classroom.
- Weekly participation in online discussions with other SVA interns. The discussion board is located within the Internship for Credit online classroom.
Students should click here for a clear listing of all enrollment steps and requirements.
Application for Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [272.07 KB]
International Student Information and CPT Form for Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [214.51 KB]
Record of Attendance - Internship for Credit - Summer 2013
PDF [144.32 KB]
- Application for Internship for Credit - Summer 2013