Read what past Photo Global participants have to say about the program.
- Antonio Ibarra, Photo Global Student 2008
- From my personal experience, SVA's Photo Global program represents a unique opportunity for a young photographer in order to acquire the highest level of formation in the general art field and, specifically, in photography. The objective of the program is to enrich artistic perspectives among students and it is an honor to be able to contribute with your own cultural and personal criteria in such an admirable forum.The school provides top of the line facilities in order to produce the most demanding projects and, on the other hand, an exemplary board of professors - among which one might find some of the most well known contemporary artists in practice today - ensure a privileged insight to New York City's diverse and never alike cultural offer and history.
- Dan Keinan, Photo Global Student 2010
Living in a new country, being part of an international artists' group, and willing to be open, learn and listen, against my pride and experience, led it to be the most meaningful choice I've made in my life. This residency has given me the opportunity to explore different fields within myself and my tool of expression, photography, and led me to perceive and experience the world in different eyes.
- Emmeline de Mooij, Photo Global Student 2010
The Photo Global Program gave me the opportunity to intensify my work process by having access to the broad scale of facilities and knowledgeable teachers SVA offers.
- Matthew-Robert Hughes, Photo Global Student 2010
- My time in the Photo Global programme and in New York was fantastic. I benefited from being part of an extraordinary year of immense talent, experience, and extremely different outlooks and opinions. This was at its best in weekly critiques, where some intense and valuable debates were held, but also sharing the experience and creative playground of the world's biggest art scene.SVA boasts a fantastic faculty, and probably the best facilities and most helpful staff you are ever going to come across, which is open from 8am-3am on weekdays! This allowed me to work around my individual schedule, shooting work in studios, editing video work, printing in the darkrooms or on the huge Epson printers. I left SVA and New York, with a new outlook, bringing my work to the next level, and friends and invaluable contacts that I will have for life. New York is now certainly my second home.
- May Heek, Photo Global Student 2008
I wanted to make a new start by taking a risk, to leave behind the trusted surroundings of my home country and to meet other international artists while studying in New York City. The School of Visual Arts Photo Global Program offers a highly creative and critical environment, which fosters personal growth while developing individual projects. It is both supportive and culturally diverse, where students can share their knowledge with each other.
- Quentin Shih, Photo Global Student 2010
I really enjoyed the Photo Global program at SVA, it helped me to focus my fine art work and I learned a lot from other artists around the world. I miss the time in the classroom, museums, and artists' studio visits.
- Rachel Louise Brown, Photo Global Student 2009
My time at Photo Global was the most significant year of my life to date. Not only did I move to a country I had never been for the first time, but I was exposed constantly to art, thought, critique and learning. It was self-building for myself and for the informing of my work. Opportunities that opened up in New York would never have happened, I would never have found the place I eventually want to call home, the art scene I want to be a part of and friends I have made for life. Without the Photo Global residency I may never have fallen in love with my work again and be studying the Masters at the Royal College of Art now. Thank you Photo Global, I will forever be indebted.
- Rui Vilela, Photo Global Student 2009
Photo Global is a unique chance to work with fellow artists from around the world, while connecting with the most exciting professionals in New York City.
- Shuruq Harb, Photo Global Student 2009
Photo Global was an intense learning experience that helped me identify my artistic interests. I did not realize the impact of the whole experience until I went back home. It was great being in New York and meeting with a diverse group of artists, curators, and thinkers.
- Stefanie Pluta, Photo Global Student 2009
Photo Global was a great learning experience, which made me stronger and more persistent in a personal and artistic way. The great resources the school and the city have to offer have broadened my mind and gave me further perspective towards my artistic practice.