UndergraduateGraduateContinuing EducationSpecial ProgramsAboutAdmissionsAlumniStudents
Can I apply for an exchange semester at the graduate level?

No. Semester exchanges are only accepted at the undergraduate level in the departments listed on the application form. 

Can I stay an additional semester if I'd like to continue my studies at SVA?

The exchange agreement is valid for one semester only. Students wishing to remain for an additional semester may apply at the Admissions Office as a "special student." If accepted, they are required to obtain a new visa in their home country, pay full undergraduate tuition and all related student fees prior to registration.

Do students need to be enrolled full time?

Yes. Students need to enroll for 12 - 15 credits (which is equal to 4 - 5 classes). If students enroll for more than 15 credits, they will be charged a per credit charge for each credit over 15. 

How much does the International Exchange Program cost?

The estimated cost of a one-semester exchange at SVA is $13,000 for either fall 2016 or spring 2017 semesters. Students pay tuition to their home schools. However, exchange students are responsible for departmental fees and any course fees specific to the courses for which they register.

Is on-campus housing available?

Yes, but it is not guaranteed. Information regarding on-campus housing options will be sent to all accepted students. For further information on SVA's residence halls and housing fees, please click here. Applicants interested in on-campus housing are encouraged to submit their application materials as early as possible, especially for Fall semester applications, as on-campus housing is limited.
Note: housing fees listed on the website are for a full academic year (2 semesters). IEP students will only be charged for one semester. 

What is the selection of accepted students based upon?

Besides the fact that a student needs to be currently enrolled in a college or university that has an established exchange agreement with SVA, students are accepted based on the following criteria:

  • artwork (SVA only accepts portfolios submitted on http://sva.slideroom.com)
  • student meets the approval of the Chair of their selected field of interest
  • available space in their selected field of interest
Who can apply for the International Exchange Program?

Students who are currently enrolled in a college or university that has an established exchange agreement with SVA may apply for the International Exchange Program. See the Eligibility page for a list of participating schools. 

Will I need to get a visa to participate in the International Exchange Program?

Yes. All accepted students must apply for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa, unless the student is a United States citizen. Click here for information on preparing for your J-1 visa application.

School of Visual Arts | 209 East 23 Street, NY, NY 10010-3994 | Tel: 212.592.2000 | Fax: 212.725.3587