- Important Dates
Incoming Exchange Application to SVA
Fall Semester (September - December): MAY 1
Spring Semester (January - May): OCTOBER 1
Outgoing Exchange Application from SVA:
Fall Semester: APRIL 15
Spring Semester: SEPTEMBER 15
SVA in Rome Application
All application materials should be submitted to SVA by the application deadlines listed above.
- Incoming International Exchange Students
Requirements for applying to attend SVA as an International Exchange student:
- Completed online application form
- Portfolio uploaded to http://sva.slideroom.com
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Confidential Declaration and Certification of Finances Form (DOF)
- Verification of Finances Form (VOF)
Complete the online application form, submit the portfolio online and submit all required documents to:
School of Visual Arts
209 East 23 Street
New York, NY 10010-3994
APPLICATION - PLEASE APPLY ONLINE FIRST
1. Create an account.
2. Fill out and submit the online application. Be sure to apply as International Exchange and select the appropriate academic program.
A portfolio of 20 images of current artwork is required for all applicants. Students are required to submit jpegs of their work on http://sva.slideroom.com. Please choose the program entitled "Exchange Program." Note that there is a $10 Slideroom fee associated with this submission. Also, a corresponding list (title, medium, date) is required and can be emailed to the International Exchange Program Administrator at [email protected].
In addition to the application, portfolio, DOF and VOF requirements, all international applicants whose primary/native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in written and spoken English.
The following are acceptable ways to demonstrate English proficiency:
- An official copy of an English Proficiency Exam score is required.
- A minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For information on taking the TOEFL, call 609.771.7100 or visit www.toefl.com.
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), the British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia. For information on taking the IELTS, call 626.564.2954.or visit www.ielts.org.
- A minimum score of 53 on the Pearson PTE Academic. For more information on taking the PTE, visit pearsonpte.com.
- This requirement may be waived for native English speakers who are citizens of any of the following countries and attend schools where English is the primary language of instruction: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, India, South Africa and Common Wealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago).
Confidential Declaration and Certification of Finances Form
All exchange applicants must demonstrate that they have at least $13,000 USD available to finance the cost of departmental fees, cost of living and art supplies for one semester at SVA. The original document of the Confidential Declaration and Certification of Finances (DOF) form must be completed, signed, dated and submitted. If a sponsor is helping a student with their expenses, the sponsor must also personally sign the form. Signature by a third party, such as an education agent or university administrator, is not acceptable. The form must bear original ink signatures.
On the DOF form, please check off "Undergraduate Major" and write in the appropriate academic program under the section "Program." Please select "Exchange Visitor (J-1)" under the section "Visa status applying for."
Verification of Finances
All exchange applicants must submit a statement or letter issued by a bank stating that the applicant and/or their sponsor(s) has at least $13,000 USD available to finance the cost of departmental fees, cost of living and art supplies for one semester at SVA. Multiple statements or letters may be submitted to verify the availability of funds. All documents must be in English or accompanied by an official translation. All documents submitted must be original documents, and all signatures and stamps must be original in ink. Photocopies, faxed copies, copies of bank statements downloaded from an online account and ATM receipts are not acceptable.
Application Fee: There is no application fee; it is free to apply.
- Outgoing International Exchange Students
SVA Undergraduate Juniors of certain majors are eligible to participate in international exchange if they have a minimum 3.0 GPA and are in good standing with the College.
Eligible students may choose up to three partner institutions to which they may apply. Students should research the partner schools, attend a study abroad information session and meet with the Manager of SVA Global to form their plan.
The below application requirements must be submitted to the Manager of SVA Global by April 15 for Fall Exchange and September 15 for Spring Exchange.
Requirement How to Complete SVA Outbound Exchange Application sva.edu/apply - choose "Semester Abroad" Letter of Motivation Paste into SVA Application, no word count requirement Partner School Application Google Folder Digital Portfolio Email, File Transfer or drop off Letters of Recommendation Two letters from two SVA instructors Transcript Drop off Copy of Passport ID Page Email or Drop off
Drop off location: 209 East 23 Street, New York, NY. Floor 1 Admissions Office
Email: [email protected]
For more information about international exchange, please view the public Google folder for SVA students.
To request an appointment with the Manager of SVA Global, please complete this form.