- Can I still apply even if the deadline has passed?
International students currently in the U.S. with a valid I-20 may apply after the deadline, as long as space remains available in the program. All other applicants should contact OPIS via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Can I use a B1/B2 tourist visa to enter the U.S. for this program?
The B1/B2 visa should not be used to enter the U.S. for this program. Since the summer program is considered full-time study, all participants are required to obtain and enter the U.S. on the F-1 student visa. See the International Student Office page for further information on the F-1 student visa.
- Does SVA arrange transportation from the airport to the campus?
SVA does not provide transportation for students traveling individually.
- How long will it take to get my I-20 from SVA?
It generally takes an average of 10-15 business days to process the I-20 after all of the original copies of the required documents have been received. I-20s are mailed via FedEx express mail service, and students will be notified of the mailing date and tracking number. Please do not schedule your visa interview appointment until you have received the I-20.
- I have been accepted to the undergraduate program at SVA for the fall semester. Can I attend this summer program?
The CDFNY summer program is not part of the undergraduate degree program. Therefore, if you are entering the U.S. for the first time to study in the undergraduate degree program in the fall semester, you may not attend this summer program as a way to enter the U.S. early.
- I haven't studied art or design at the college (post-secondary) level. Can I still apply?
This program is designed for students with at least one semester of post secondary (college or university) level art study. Applicants who have not taken art or design courses at the post secondary level may submit a portfolio of their work for consideration. Please note that applicants must have completed at least one semester of post secondary level study to be eligible to apply. High school students interested in summer study at SVA may wish to consider the summer Pre-College program.
- I'm not sure which course is best for me. Can I change my course schedule after the program starts and I have attended class for a few days?
Once your I-20 has been processed or transferred to SVA, it is no longer possible to change your course of study. Therefore, if you are not sure which course is the best fit for you, please contact OPIS for further guidance in making your course selection.
- What are the check-in & check-out dates? Can I check-in early, check-out late?
Details regarding check-in/check-out times and procedures will be sent to program participants in the pre-arrival information mailing. While housing may not be extended beyond the check-in and check-out dates, some flexibility may be possible for students with late night or early morning international flight schedules.
- What art supplies will I need?
A supply list for each course will be sent in the pre-arrival information mailing.
- What is the application deadline?
The application deadline for summer 2013 is May 3, 2013.
- What is the residence hall like?
Summer program students will be housed in the New Residence, located at 215 East 23 street between 2nd and 3rd avenues. The New Residence offers suite-style accommodation, with double-occupancy bedrooms (2 beds per room), a kitchen with cooking facilities, bathroom, and common area. Laundry and recreation facilities are also available in the building. Click here for more information.
- Where should I send my application?
Submit completed applications to:
Office of Programs for International Students
School of Visual Arts
209 East 23 Street
New York, NY 10010-3994
International Student Profile