- MFA Art Criticism and Writing
- MAT Art Education
- MFA Art Practice
- MPS Art Therapy
- MPS Branding
- MFA Computer Art
- MA Critical Theory and the Arts
- MA Curatorial Practice
- MFA Design
- MFA Design Criticism
- MFA Design for Social Innovation
- MPS Digital Photography
- MPS Fashion Photography
- MFA Fine Arts
- MFA Illustration as Visual Essay
- MFA Interaction Design
- MPS Live Action Short Film
- MFA Photography, Video and Related Media
MFA Art Criticism and Writing
The premier graduate program in the U.S. for art criticism studies
- For us, criticism is a way to ask bigger and better questions
- We want students with wide-ranging curiosity about contemporary culture
- Emphasis on the history and current transformations of the image
MAT Art Education
Get your masters degree in art education at SVA in NYC.
- Develop an educational philosophy while continuing to create personal artwork
- Gain specialized teaching experience through the School of Visual Arts’ innovative children’s program within the New York City community
- Start teaching next fall with our one-year intensive program, or attend part-time with our two-year program
MFA Art Practice
A multidisciplinary approach to a masters in fine arts degree
- Multidisciplinary program that addresses the intellectual, aesthetic, technical and practical concerns of the artist
- Three-year low-residency format combines online coursework with three summers of studio practice in NYC
- Students will engage with artists, designers, curators and others from New York’s art world and beyond
MPS Art Therapy
The two-year, 60-credit Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Art Therapy program at SVA is interdisciplinary in approach, integrating the experiential components of art therapy practice within a comprehensive framework of academic theory and clinical application.
- Students learn to adapt the creative process to the specific therapeutic needs of the individual, population and setting, with a consideration of how socio-political and cultural issues impact treatment.
- SVA believes in active engagement with the community utilizing the diverse, multi-dimensional, artistic, and innovative atmosphere of NYC and beyond to enhance training.
- The Department offers larger group information sessions and experiential workshops each year, as well as individual information sessions.
The masters in branding offered by the School of Visual Arts is the first program of its kind in the United States.
- Create frameworks to guide brand, design and business development
- Critically evaluate brand, business, marketing and design strategies
- Master the intellectual link between leadership and creativity
MFA Computer Art
The MFA Computer Art Department emphasizes creativity and a multidisciplinary approach to making art with computers and emerging technologies.
- The goal of the program is to develop artists who will produce significant creative work throughout their careers
- The faculty comprises internationally renowned artists, curators, critics, theorists and industry professionals—a who’s who of New York’s art world
- Recently renovated, state-of-the-art facilities; named one of the top ten digital art schools in the world
MA Critical Theory and the Arts
A one-year, three-semester MA program in critical social theory focused on the arts, including the study of art theory and aesthetics, social history, social theory and the history of art.
- Focal points of the program are the Proseminars on the “The Situation of the Arts: The Level of the Problem” and the Serious Times Lecture Series, which poses the question, “Why doesn’t the United States make social progress?”
- Up to 14 students are selected annually by the Committee on Graduate Admissions.
- Graduates of Critical Theory and the Arts remain ongoing members of the Serious Times Lecture Series and of the program’s intellectual community.
MA Curatorial Practice
Master's degree in Curatorial Practice
- Rigorous curatorial training in the heart of Manhattan with leading curators and experts from New York’s major arts institutions
- Historical and theoretical study of the expanded curatorial field
- International network of institutions and organizations for career development
The premier graduate program for designers in New York City
- We emphasize entrepreneurship as an alternative to conventional practice, and as a means to raise the level of design expertise and achievement.
- We teach a broad set of visual, verbal and textual approaches as foundation for design.
- We focus on creation to optimize the designer’s abilities to rise to the next professional level.
MFA Design Criticism
The MFA in Design Criticism is one of the only graduate programs of its kind in the U.S.
- Prepare for careers in design research, writing, curating, education and management
- Contribute to the public discourse on design and architecture
- Examine the implications of design practice and its products
- Learn how to write compellingly about images, objects and spaces
MFA Design for Social Innovation
Design for Social Innovation is an emerging discipline that works at a systems level, shifting cultures, igniting collective creativity, and realizing the kind of transformational opportunities for business and society that we need most right now. MFA Design for Social Innovation at SVA NYC is the first program dedicated to teaching design at scale to produce this discipline’s next leaders.
- We offer a uniquely holistic approach – at the intersection of design, social innovation and enterprise. We teach design as a tool for social and environmental impact, not an end in itself.
- The DSI curriculum encompasses a broad range of issues including conservation, health, food and agriculture, poverty, women’s rights, social justice, fair trade, education and community revitalization.
- DSI students work with real clients throughout the program, gaining hands-on experience with multinational corporations, non-profits and social entrepreneurs around the globe.
- Graduates are prepared to work in business, government, creative services, philanthropy, non-profits and as entrepreneurs.
MPS Digital Photography
Earn your graduate degree in digital photography with a one-year, full-time program or through our low-residency option.
- Master digital photography’s latest tools and techniques in this intensive one-year program
- Working professionals comprise the faculty—numerous guest lecturers enhance the technical and creative curriculum
- Available as an online/summer residency or on-campus/summer residency program for a cutting-edge education in current digital photographic practices and aesthetics
MPS Fashion Photography
Study fashion photography in the fashion capital of New York City.
- One of the few graduate programs specifically devoted to fashion photography
- A program aimed at proficient photographers who want to develop their craft in this genre
- The program utilizes the resources of NYC as a world fashion and media capital
MFA Fine Arts
MFA Fine Arts
- Interdisciplinary studio program emphasizes exploration and experimentation
- Faculty comprised of internationally renowned artists
- Visiting artists, curators, and critics give lectures and visit students’ studios
MFA Illustration as Visual Essay
SVA is the best choice for earning a graduate degree in illustration.
- Develop your personal vision in our highly selective program
- Classroom-based curriculum, where close interaction between faculty and other classmates is an essential part of the creative process of the program
- New York City’s diverse and celebrated professional world provides mentors, guest lecturers, advisors and faculty
MFA Interaction Design
MFA Interaction Design focuses on concepts central to interaction design, design research, human-computer interaction, interface design, graphic design, information architecture and ubiquitous computing.
- Create innovative approaches to human problems
- Develop fluency in prototyping and the practical application of visionary ideas
- Transform entrepreneurial concepts into new products and services
MPS Live Action Short Film
Learn filmmaking in this unique 10-month program chaired by one of the legendary short-film commercial directors, Bob Giraldi.
- Transform an idea into a short film using the latest in digital technology
- Connect with industry professionals: working directors, screenwriters, editors and producers
- A practical, hands-on curriculum where students gain experience in every aspect of short filmmaking
MFA Photography, Video and Related Media
If you’re looking for an MFA photography program, studying in NYC at SVA is the right choice.
- Extensive and innovative courses in all aspects of the lens arts—still and moving
- Understanding the need to create new technologies, new histories, new criticism and professional practices for success in a changing world
- New York City is the creative hub of a worldwide network from which we readily draw our mentors, faculty and lecturers
MFA Products of Design
Products of Design transforms designers, educating head, heart and hands to reinvent systems, create new types of value and catalyze positive change through the business of making.
- An optimistic re-imagining of the artifacts of design, reconciling the challenges of production and consumption, systems and consequence
- Students use a hands-on, making-driven approach to master strategic, technical and narrative skills
- Industry leaders, interdisciplinary practitioners, passionate iconoclasts and savvy entrepreneurs comprise the faculty
MFA Social Documentary Film
The MFA in Social Documentary Film program guides and supports emerging artists to fully explore the social documentary film form.
- Trains students to find innovative ways to examine and communicate the core experiences and events that define us
- Open to qualified students at any level—no filmmaking background required
- A tailored curriculum designed for students to attain artistic and technical fluency in documentary filmmaking
MFA Visual Narrative
SVA offers a low-residency program in visual narrative with two years online and three summers in NYC. Applications will open in September for a June 2014 start.
- Offers a distinctive and evolutionary approach to storytelling on a graduate level
- Focuses on the growing need for original content creators in advertising, video games, picture books, graphic novels, film, illustration and animation
- Prepares artists and authors to become innovators in the ever-evolving art of visual storytelling