- MA Critical Theory and the Arts
- MA Curatorial Practice
- MFA Design
- MFA Design for Social Innovation
- MA Design Research, Writing and Criticism
- MPS Digital Photography
- MPS Directing
- MPS Fashion Photography
- MFA Fine Arts
- MFA Illustration as Visual Essay
- MFA Interaction Design
- MFA Photography, Video and Related Media
MAT Art Education
Get your masters degree in art education at SVA in NYC.
- Develop an educational philosophy while continuing to create personal artwork
- Gain specialized teaching experience through the School of Visual Arts’ innovative children’s program within the New York City community
- Start teaching next fall with our one-year intensive program, or attend part-time with our two-year program
MFA Art Practice
A multidisciplinary approach to a masters in fine arts degree
- Multidisciplinary program that addresses the intellectual, aesthetic, technical and practical concerns of the artist
- Three-year low-residency format combines online coursework with three summers of studio practice in NYC
- Students will engage with artists, designers, curators and others from New York’s art world and beyond
MPS Art Therapy
SVA’s Master of Professional Studies MPS in Art Therapy is an immersive two-year, 60-credit program that prepares students to become licensed art therapists.
- MPS Art Therapy is interdisciplinary in approach, integrating the experiential components of art therapy within a comprehensive framework of academic theory, clinical application via an internship program and art practice.
- In addition to the coursework and internship components, we offer a robust program of lectures, conferences, workshops, exhibitions, and special projects, as well as opportunities for international study and studio time.
- We seek out a diverse group of students as far as age, cultural background, and work experience, offering scholarships, part-time options and a flexible approach to make the program a possibility for students in a variety of circumstances.
MFA Art Writing
The premier graduate program in the U.S. for art criticism studies
- For us, criticism is a way to ask bigger and better questions
- We want students with wide-ranging curiosity about contemporary culture
- Emphasis on the history and current transformations of the image
The masters in branding offered by the School of Visual Arts is the first program of its kind in the United States.
- Create frameworks to guide brand, design and business development
- Critically evaluate brand, business, marketing and design strategies
- Master the intellectual link between leadership and creativity
MFA Computer Art
The MFA Computer Art Department emphasizes creativity and a multidisciplinary approach to producing innovative animation, motion graphics and contemporary art within a state-of-the-art digital studio. The goal of the program is to develop individuals who will produce significant creative work throughout their careers and become leaders in their chosen field.
- Graduates of the program have been recognized with eight Student Academy Awards
- Internationally renowned artists, industry professionals, curators, critics and theorists—a who’s who of New York’s art world—comprise our faculty
- The most advanced digital studio in the SVA graduate school with 75 networked computers and specialized digital video, audio and fine art workstations
MA Critical Theory and the Arts
This one-year MA Program is unique in presenting the philosophical, sociological, political, art and social historical contexts a student must be familiar with to meaningfully pursue the questions that the contemporary situation of art poses. Society and art are studied in their actual tension, without reducing art to society, or pretending that society somehow amounts to the world of art.
- The curriculum is made up of courses in aesthetics, political theory, social history, the history of art and social theory. Classes involve open discussions concerning the most important questions we have about art, politics, society and our lives.
- Focal points of the program are the Proseminars on the “The Situation of the Arts: The Level of the Problem” and the Serious Times Lecture Series, which poses the question, “Why doesn’t the United States make social progress?”
- A small group of students is selected annually by the Committee on Graduate Admissions. Philosophy, social history, and political science often engage the arts, and students in the program come from many disciplines, no less than from the art studio.
MA Curatorial Practice
Master's degree in Curatorial Practice
- Rigorous curatorial training in the heart of Manhattan with leading curators and experts from New York’s major arts institutions
- Historical and theoretical study of the expanded curatorial field
- International network of institutions and organizations for career development
The premier graduate program for designers in New York City
- We emphasize entrepreneurship as an alternative to conventional practice, and as a means to raise the level of design expertise and achievement.
- We teach a broad set of visual, verbal and textual approaches as foundation for design.
- We focus on creation to optimize the designer’s abilities to rise to the next professional level.
MFA Design for Social Innovation
Design for Social Innovation is an emerging discipline that works at a systems level, shifting cultures, igniting collective creativity, and realizing the kind of transformational opportunities for business and society that we need most right now. MFA Design for Social Innovation at SVA NYC is the first program dedicated to teaching design at scale to produce this discipline’s next leaders.
- We offer a uniquely holistic approach – at the intersection of design, social innovation and enterprise. We teach design as a tool for social and environmental impact, not an end in itself.
- The DSI curriculum encompasses a broad range of issues including conservation, health, food and agriculture, poverty, women’s rights, social justice, fair trade, education and community revitalization.
- DSI students work with real clients throughout the program, gaining hands-on experience with multinational corporations, non-profits and social entrepreneurs around the globe.
- Graduates are prepared to work in business, government, creative services, philanthropy, non-profits and as entrepreneurs.
MA Design Research, Writing and Criticism
The MA in Design Research, Writing and Criticism is one of the only graduate programs of its kind in the U.S.
- Prepare for careers in design research, publishing, curating, education, and management
- Contribute to the public discourse on design, architecture, and cities
- Enrich your multi-dimensional practice with research, writing and critical tools
- Learn how to create compelling narratives about images, objects and spaces
MPS Digital Photography
Earn your graduate degree in digital photography with a one-year, full-time program or through our low-residency option.
- Master digital photography’s latest tools and techniques in this intensive one-year program
- Working professionals comprise the faculty—numerous guest lecturers enhance the technical and creative curriculum
- Available as an online/summer residency or on-campus/summer residency program for a cutting-edge education in current digital photographic practices and aesthetics
Learn to how to direct film in this unique 1-year masters program chaired by one of the legendary commercial and music video directors, Bob Giraldi.
- We focus on the craft of directing and the art of visual storytelling.
- Connect with industry professionals: working directors, screenwriters, editors and producers
- A practical, hands-on curriculum where students gain experience in every aspect of directing film.
MPS Fashion Photography
Study fashion photography in the fashion capital of New York City
- One of the few graduate programs specifically devoted to fashion photography
- A program aimed at proficient photographers who want to develop their craft in this genre
- The program utilizes the resources of NYC as a world fashion and media capital
- Merit based scholarships available
MFA Fine Arts
MFA Fine Arts program in New York City
- Interdisciplinary studio program emphasizes exploration and experimentation
- Faculty comprised of internationally renowned artists
- Visiting artists, curators, and critics give lectures and visit students’ studios
MFA Illustration as Visual Essay
SVA is the best choice for earning a graduate degree in illustration.
- Develop your personal vision in our highly selective program
- Classroom-based curriculum, where close interaction between faculty and other classmates is an essential part of the creative process of the program
- New York City’s diverse and celebrated professional world provides mentors, guest lecturers, advisors and faculty
MFA Interaction Design
MFA Interaction Design focuses on concepts central to interaction design, design research, human-computer interaction, interface design, graphic design, information architecture and ubiquitous computing.
- Create innovative approaches to human problems
- Develop fluency in prototyping and the practical application of visionary ideas
- Transform entrepreneurial concepts into new products and services
MFA Photography, Video and Related Media
If you’re looking for an MFA photography program, studying in NYC at SVA is the right choice.
- Extensive and innovative courses in all aspects of still and moving imagery
- Creating and understanding new technologies, criticism, and professional practices for success in a changing world
- We draw faculty, lecturers, mentors, and advisors from a worldwide creative network
- Merit-based scholarships available
MFA Products of Design
Products of Design transforms designers, educating head, heart and hands to reinvent systems, create new types of value and catalyze positive change through the business of making.
- An optimistic re-imagining of the artifacts of design, reconciling the challenges of production and consumption, systems and consequence
- Students use a hands-on, making-driven approach to master strategic, technical and narrative skills
- Industry leaders, interdisciplinary practitioners, passionate iconoclasts and savvy entrepreneurs comprise the faculty
MFA Social Documentary Film
The MFA in Social Documentary Film program guides and supports emerging artists to fully explore the social documentary film form.
- Trains students to find innovative ways to examine and communicate the core experiences and events that define us
- Open to qualified students at any level—no filmmaking background required
- A tailored curriculum designed for students to attain artistic and technical fluency in documentary filmmaking
MFA Visual Narrative
January 2016 - Applications are currently open and students will be accepted on a rolling basis until the class is full. Download the application guide on the left. The session begins June 3.
- SVA offers a low-residency MFA program in visual narrative with two years online and three summers in NYC.
- Offers a distinctive and evolutionary approach to storytelling on a graduate level
- Focuses on the growing need for original content creators in advertising, video games, picture books, graphic novels, film, comic arts, illustration and animation
- Prepares artists and authors to become innovators in the ever-evolving art of visual storytelling
Thursday, November 19, 2015
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Tuesday, August 11, 2015