Earn your graduate degree in digital photography with a one-year, full-time program or through our low-residency option.
- Master digital photography’s latest tools and techniques in this intensive one-year program
- Working professionals comprise the faculty—numerous guest lecturers enhance the technical and creative curriculum
- Available as an online/summer residency or on-campus/summer residency program for a cutting-edge education in current digital photographic practices and aesthetics
Photographers are the visual explorers of concepts, relationships and light. As we frame the world in our viewfinders, we are creating and expressing the world of which we are an integral part. As we digitally create and enhance the image, our skills and imagination are constantly challenged to create better images that are conceptually sound and technically perfect. Digital photographic hardware and software give the artist the ability to refine and explore the image to the fullest expression of the photographer’s vision. But this inherent power comes with an even greater responsibility to use the digital tools appropriately in relationship to the artist’s creative intent.
The Master of Professional Studies in Digital Photography is an intensive one-year degree program that is offered as an on-campus/summer residency or an online/summer residency program that seamlessly blends the most current technical and aesthetic aspects of contemporary photographic image-making. The program meets the needs of professional photographers and photographic educators who want to advance their skills in digital image capture, image processing and high-quality output to remain competitive in a variety of image-making and related fields.
The option to attend the full-time on-campus/summer residency program or the online/summer residency program (full or part time) allows the rigorous curriculum to benefit a growing and diverse international community. Participating in the online/summer residency program allows students to attend (who for personal or professional reasons cannot move to New York City for the fall and spring semesters). Being an online student requires mature self-discipline to schedule the time to read the weekly lectures, view the interactive demonstrations, review the videos, and very importantly, complete the weekly assignments and discussions. Both the on-campus residency and online/summer residency students come together for the summer session to produce their thesis projects, which culminates in a group exhibition.
The ideal candidate has a strong photographic background, is dedicated to developing and completing a professional and unique body of work and has a deep passion for exploring the confluence of aesthetics and technology. Our student body mirrors the diversity of the 21st century in terms of heritage, age, technical acumen, professional experience and photographic interests that include but are not limited to photojournalism, fine art, commercial, portrait, fashion, landscape and documentary photography. The program benefits greatly from both its outstanding faculty and its location in the heart of the photo district and gallery scene in New York City. Our instructors are working professionals with extensive expertise in professional photography and digital-imaging technologies. The entire faculty and staff are dedicated to challenging students to take complete control and responsibility for every decision and detail in their images. A variety of guest lecturers from the industry complement the core faculty to further enrich each student’s learning experience.
- Photographer Mary Beth Meehan on hard-work, long-term projects and motivation. On SVA MPS DIgital Photo Vimeo page! https://t.co/KuBksGCMku
- Smart! RT @DEVELOPphoto: Curator, writer, editor Marvin Heiferman's talk at SVA on Photography and Visual Literacy https://t.co/9aOeuAXpOA
- With @SVADigitalPhoto Alum Randhy Rodriguez! RT @SVA_News: Photos from @SVAgalleries booth at the Miami Project http://t.co/7kTs1i0Hql
- SVA MPS Digital Photography 2013 Information Session Videos. https://t.co/50NQdgiQGA @SVA_News
- SVA Masters in Digital Photography Online Information Session starting at 7PM EST today 12/5. Guest log-in https://t.co/yhiP0nzbPv @SVA_News
Monday, November 25, 2013
The art world’s center of gravity shifts southward in December with the opening of Art Basel Miami Beach and satellite fairs. For the seventh year in a row, SVA will head down to Miami to join the...
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Thirty-seven SVA students and alumni have advanced to the semi-final round of the 13th Annual Adobe Design Achievement Awards, which showcases individual and group projects created with Adobe...