When you put “Story First”, words and visuals merge into a whole new language. Yours. SVA offers a low-residency MFA program in visual narrative with two years online and three summers in NYC, a visionary approach to storytelling that equally emphasizes creative writing and visual communication across all media.
- Develop an understanding of what Story is and how it functions most effectively when visual and written media merge, by sharpening your writing skills and integrating them into your creative process and professional practice.
- Create original works as both author and artist within a supportive and transformative creative community, with visiting artists and mentoring by a top professional in your field.
- Connect and collaborate with a professional network in NYC and beyond.
- Prepare to compete in creative industries such as advertising, video, gaming, film, animation, sequential arts, illustration, design and more.
- Merit and Educators Scholarships, housing grants and rolling admissions available. Applicants with a BFA or equivalent from any area of study, including sciences, humanities, arts or business welcome.
Detailed application guides for both standard and Educator’s Scholarship applications are available here.
Where Artist Meets Author
When words and images come together, they can create powerful visual narratives — stories that can touch hearts, change minds and even change the way we see our world - Story First.
The Visual Narrative MFA at SVA responds to the needs of today’s evolving creative markets by merging the artist and author. It’s an evolutionary process that puts story first and gives you the tools you need to craft your own stories and to help others craft theirs.
More than just a degree program, the MFA Visual Narrative program is a school of thought that immerses you in story. A select group of artist/authors, we are a diverse, tight-knit community where you learn in small classes and are mentored by top professionals who know how to navigate today’s competitive creative markets.
Part of the extraordinary appeal of the program is that it is low-residency. Three intensive eight-week summer semesters at SVA in New York City give you the chance to connect with your peers and professors, to create in-studio and to absorb the Visual Narrative process. Additionally, you are able to access the myriad of creative opportunities in the city and to build a community of colleagues and mentors that supports and inspires. Four semesters of on-line coursework, critiques, discussions and interactive projects give you the freedom to pursue your passion and live your life — without uprooting it.
In today’s workplace, storytelling is increasing demand. At MFA Visual Narrative, you’ll develop a fluency in what we call “Visual Writing.” We think of it as a whole new language that can take your creativity to the next level and give you the competitive edge in today’s creative economy. If you’re ready to dig deep, uncover universal truths and live and breathe story, come join us. The world needs compelling stories.
Everyone has a past, whether it's truth or fiction, and it's that past which defines who they are today. Students have given voice to a chapter from t...
Students took the art/typography from artist-inspired posters and set the type in motion. These pieces inspired a typographic message within the scree...
This short piece is a great snapshot of our evolutionary visual storytelling program.
Watch this talk "Wired for Story: What Audiences Really Crave and How to Give it to Them" from faculty Lisa Cron. Imagine knowing what we’re hardwired...
Part of our Form, Character Empathy class, these scenes bring the characters to life that the students developed throughout the semester.
MFA Visual Narrative is the first low-residency, interdisciplinary MFA program to focus on creative writing and image-making as a single language—visu...
The Color, Process, Text and Image class played with the short animation form.