- Become a NYS certified art teacher with the MAT, or an artist-teacher in museum and community contexts with the new MA program
- Develop an educational philosophy while building on your art practice
- Supervised fieldwork at preK-12 schools, museums, and special needs schools
Masters In Art Education
MAT / Master of Arts in Teaching
MA / Master of Arts
Curious About Teaching? Please join us!
All artists, regardless of their practice, have an innate curiosity, flexibility, and awareness about the world. So it’s not surprising that many take an interest in teaching art in schools, community organizations, museums, and alternative learning sites. But who teaches you how to teach?
In our graduate Art Education programs, you will…
- Learn the foundations of education and develop confidence with lesson planning.
- Experience the depth and breadth of what it means to be an art educator today, by working with students in homeless shelters, public schools, and museums.
- Learn how art education can benefit society through respect for differences in culture, perspective, and personal choice.
- Promote equity and create inclusive learning spaces.
- Study the relationships between art and social-emotional issues, including self-awareness, social justice, empathy, and problem-solving.
- Tap into your own perseverance and resilience as an artist, and learn how to teach those dispositions to your future students.
- Grow as an artist, honing your skills and knowledge.
- Experiment in some of the extensive facilities that comprise SVA at large.
- Both be accountable to and be a support for your peers.
- Leave with career-readiness.
Monday, October 14, 2019
Friday, October 11, 2019
Thursday, October 10, 2019