- Title International Student Advisor
- Department International Student Office
- Job Type Full Time
- Available From Apr 19, 2017
Job Title: International Student Advisor
Department: International Student Office
Reports to: Associate Director
Position Overview: Work independently and as a member of a team under moderate supervision to advise and support international students regarding immigration status and related matters.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advise international students on their rights and responsibilities under the law for nonimmigrant status (primarily F-1) to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Serve as the first point of contact for walk-in advisement, phone calls, e-mail and in-person inquiries.
- Provide comprehensive advisement and counseling on financial, personal, cultural and academic concerns to assist international students successfully adjust to life at SVA.
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO): conduct routine to complex business with U.S. government officials of the Student and Exchange Visitor Program; Citizenship and Immigration Services; Customs and Border Protection and others.
- Issue the Certificate of Eligibility, I-20 forms (initial, continued attendance, change of educational level, transfer, program extension and shortening program).
- Review eligibility for employment authorization and process Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 students.
- Maintain an accurate student file by documenting advisement, and follow other standard record-keeping procedures.
- Counsel students who are considering an interruption of studies; identify students of concern and make appropriate referrals; monitor progress and conduct follow-ups.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of International Student Orientation events.
- Assist with workshops and information sessions; conduct occasional presentations as necessary.
- Assist with the International Student Office Cultural Partner Program.
- Assist with implementing cultural activities and events to help international students acclimate to the College community.
- Work closely with parallel offices on matters relating to international students.
- Actively participate in staff meetings.
- Attend professional development and training programs as needed.
- Handle other routine administrative duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree.
- Two-to-three years of related work experience.
- Accurate data entry and record-keeping skills; meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills; must have a strong command of business English.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and prior experience living abroad or facility in a second language, preferred.
- Must be able to work well and develop rapport with individuals of diverse cultures and ethnic groups with varying levels of English proficiency.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, be well-organized and task-oriented, perform effectively under pressure and adapt to changing demands and priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Basic knowledge of current U.S. federal regulations and SEVIS functions pertaining to F-1 nonimmigrant status.
- Familiarity with Colleague (training will be provided); SEVIS-batch processing software; MS Word, Excel, and social media.
- Interest and commitment to meeting the needs specific to international students.
- U.S. federal regulations require a Designated School Official (DSO) to be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
No walk-ins or phone calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.