The School of Visual Arts (main building) is located at 209 East 23rd Street between Second and Third avenues on Manhattan's East Side. Telephone: 212.592.2000.
- Directions by Bus
The Port Authority Bus Terminal is located at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue. Buses arrive there from all parts of the country. Call the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 212.564.8484 for schedule and fare information. Call 212.971.6363 for Greyhound Bus schedule and fare information. You can reach SVA from the bus terminal by taking the C or E subway lines to 23rd Street and Eighth Avenue.
- Directions by Car
FROM THE NORTH
- From the Triboro Bridge, follow signs for FDR Drive. Exit FDR Drive at 23rd Street, and continue to 209 East 23rd Street, between Second and Third avenues.
- From the George Washington (GW) Bridge, follow signs to the Harlem River Drive, and then to FDR Drive. Exit FDR Drive at 23rd Street, and continue to 209 East 23rd Street, between Second and Third avenues.
FROM THE EAST
- Take Long Island Expressway (I-495) to the Midtown Tunnel. Exit tunnel to left and travel downtown on Second Avenue to 23rd Street.
FROM POINTS SOUTH or WEST
- From the Lincoln Tunnel, travel downtown on West Street, to 23rd Street. Head east to 209 East 23rd Street, between Second and Third avenues.
- From the Holland Tunnel, travel uptown on West Street, to 23rd Street. Head east to 209 East 23rd Street, between Second and Third avenues.
- From the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, travel uptown on West Street, to 23rd Street. Head east to 209 East 23rd Street, between Second and Third avenues.
Note: Parking on 23rd Street is scarce and by meter only. There are several parking garages in the vicinity of SVA.
- Directions by Ferry
For specific New York Waterway ferry and free shuttle bus information, click here.
- Directions by Subway
Many subway lines stop at 23rd Street. The number 6 train is the closest, and stops at Park Avenue South. The R and N trains stop at Broadway. The F and V trains stop at Sixth Avenue. The number 1 train stops at Seventh Avenue and the C and E at Eighth Avenue. PATH trains from New Jersey stop at Sixth Avenue. Subways are a fast and economical way to travel within New York City. Subway MetroCards may be purchased at any station; subway maps are also available at no charge. Click here for more information on subway travel.
- Directions by Train
Metro-North trains, which serve Westchester County, parts of Connecticut and other points north, arrive at Grand Central Terminal, located at 42nd Street between Lexington and Vanderbilt avenues in midtown Manhattan. Amtrak, Long Island Rail Road, and New Jersey Transit trains arrive at Penn Station, located at 33rd Street and Seventh Avenue. It is a 20-minute walk to SVA from Grand Central Terminal, or take the number 6 subway line downtown to 23rd Street. It is a 25-minute walk from Penn Station, down Seventh Avenue to 23rd Street and east on 23rd Street to Third Avenue.
- Hotel Accommodations Nearby
- This list of suggested accommodations is provided for your convenience. Please be advised that the School of Visual Arts cannot guarantee availability at any of the hotels listed below.* Denotes hotels within 10 blocks of SVAThe Carlton*88 Madison AvenueNew York, NY 10016Tel: 212.532.4100Chelsea Savoy204 West 23 StreetTel: 212.929.9353Clarion Hotel Park Avenue*429 Park Avenue SouthNew York, NY 10016Tel: 212.532.4860Comfort Inn Hotel18 West 25 StreetTel: 212.645.3990Deauville Hotel103 East 29 StreetTel: 212.683.0990Doubletree Metropolitan NY Hotel569 Lexington AvenueTel: 212.752.7000Gramercy Park Hotel2 Lexington AvenueTel: 212.920.3300Hotel Chelsea222 West 23 StreetTel: 212.243.3700Hotel Giraffe*365 Park Avenue SouthNew York, NY 10016Tel: 877.296.0009Hotel Grand Union34 East 32 StreetTel: 212.683.5890Inn at Irving Plaza56 Irving PlaceTel: 212.533.4600Larchmont Hotel27 West 11 StreetTel: 212.989.9333Madison Hotel62 Madison AvenueTel: 212.532.7373The Marcel Hotel*201 East 24 StreetTel: 212.696.3800Maritime Hotel, The363 West 16 StreetTel: 212.242.4300Marriott Eastside Hotel525 Lexington AvenueNew York, NY 10017Tel: 800.242.8684Park South Hotel*122 East 28th StreetNew York, NY 10016Tel: 800.315.4642Pod Hotel230 East 51 StreetTel: 212.355.0300Radisson Lexington Hotel511 Lexington AvenueNew York, NY 10017Tel: 800.448.4471Roger Williams131 Madison AvenueTel: 212.448.7000Stanford Hotel43 West 32 StreetTel: 212.563.1500Vincci Avalon Hotel16 East 32 StreetTel: 212.299.7000W New York541 Lexington AvenueNew York, NY 10022Tel: 212.755.1200W Union Square201 Park Avenue SouthTel: 212.253.9119Washington Square Hotel103 Waverly PlaceTel: 212.777.9515
- Parking Garages Nearby
- Call to confirm hours and availabilityCharles Parking200 East 26 Street (between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue)(212) 751-1080West Plaza Garage - Icon Parking301 East 26 Street (corner of 26 Street and Second Avenue)(212) 252-8038Icon Parking401 Second Avenue (between 23 Street and 24 Street)(212) 683-4009Penny Lane Car Park215 East 24 Street (between Second Avenue and Third Avenue)(212) 679-0370